The Four Realms - Intro Aedlith

In Eden….

The small figure crept into the darkened room, careful not to make a sound. His breath coming in rapid pants, and, quickly spotting a large chest of drawers, which held objects of questionable value, he made a dash for it, and wedged himself into the small space available between the object and the wall.

Trying to control his heart, which felt like a frantic creature trying to break free of its confinement, he waited.

Which wasn't long.

"COLT!!" A voice screeched from somewhere outside the room.

Hmm, the figure named Colt mused to himself. He seems a little perturbed.

"Colt- where are you, you cowardly good-for-naught son of Valhalla!!"

Colt nodded to himself in confirmation. Yes- he is undoubtedly distraught.

Before he could form another thought, Colt saw the door swing open and make solid impact with the adjoining wall with a resounding crash. The hallway light filtered into the dark room, and a menacing figure stood in the doorway, eyes glowing with anger.

Uh-oh.

"Oh Co-olt?" the figure called out softly. Deceptively soft. "Where are you, you little imp?" He ended this query with a growl. Deception over with.

The elf bristled indignantly. I am not an imp. He considered this. Perhaps on Misha's side.

Ferryll cursed at the lack of light in the room, which rendered him vulnerable to Colt, who could see everything as clear as daylight, including Master Ferryll, who looked like a blind person trying to make his way around a new room- which he was, in a way. Colt would have laughed if it wasn't for that scary-looking spiked club that Ferryll must have picked up along the way. Evidently for . . . practical use. On his head.

While contemplating all this, Colt must have made a noise of some sort. Either that or Ferryll must have the sense of a hound, because he suddenly swerved his head towards the chest Colt was hiding behind and looked triumphant.

Oh crud.

Ferryll strode towards the chest and pushed it to the side, thus revealing the wide-eyed elf, leaving him in a wash of light from the hall.

What's going on? Colt thought frantically. What's taking her so long?

Ferryll laughed; a low, exultant sound which made Colt lower the lids over his eyes, leaving only a narrow glitter of iridescent green. He unconsciously ran his left thumb repeatedly over the tiny, teardrop-shaped crystal on his middle, right knuckle.
Ferryll made a grab for Colt- but just as he had grasped the diminutive figure, he blinked, and Colt was gone.

Outside, the spirited birds on the branches of the birch tree stopped singing when they heard the frustrated yell which came from inside the palace- and they took flight in panic when a terrible roar followed: "Missed AGAIN!!!"

When Colt opened his eyes, he was sitting atop a rock, which was on the green grass by a clear, lazily flowing stream. Recognizing his surroundings and feeling greatly relieved, he breathed much easier, closing his eyes again.

Realization struck him and his eyes snapped open. Blazing green eyes glared accusingly at a blue pair, which were gazing at him innocently from across the stream. The owner was wearing earthen breeches that she had rolled up to her knees, and her feet and legs were submerged in the water.

"You did that on purpose?" He inquired flatly.

His mistress smiled, not saying a word. Her eyes further lightened to a pale blue, indicating her hidden yet almost hysterical mirth. Her dark brown hair hung down her back in loose waves and her slanting, cat-like eyes were regarding him in amusement. Below her slightly turned-up nose, her mouth was pressed together in suppressed laughter.

"Well? Is it a yes or a no?"

Aedlith only smiled, idly fingering the teardrop crystal on her knuckle. Her dear seerling looked very disgruntled, his ebony-dark, spiky hair sticking outwards in certain places, exposing the ever famous, pointed ears. His normally mischievous emerald eyes were glaring daggers at her and an interesting flush stained his golden skin. His clothing was a mimicry of her own, except for the cut of his shirt and its rumpled state, reminding her of the time when she first summoned him, many years ago, at her Initiation ceremony. He hadn't been very pleased.

"Well- what do you think, Colt, m'lad?"

"M'lad? M'lad!" Colt spluttered. "I am older than you, young lady!"

She raised an eyebrow, eyeing his small frame deliberately. "Queer- you don't look it."

He gasped. "Now that was below the belt."

"I know."

Colt slumped. "Oh well," he said resignedly. "It's only fair, I suppose. After all, there was that time when I took a soak in your mug of milk." He sighed, a melancholy look on his elven face.

"You what?!"

Aedlith's eyes were turning a dangerous green and she was contemplating murder when a middle-aged woman appeared from out of the trees, panting. She sighed in relief when her eyes fell on Aedlith, and hurried to her side. "Mistra Meiirlyn…." she wheezed. "You are needed in the Grand Hall for the mid-sun lecture."

Aedlith scowled. "Krasyakh! I was hoping that I wouldn't be needed."

The woman looked highly disapproving at Aedlith's swearing, then as her eyes fell on the three white seed pearls on her right ear and the three black pearls on her left, she paled, remembering who Aedlith was. It was so easy to forget, when one judged by her demeanor.

Aedlith grumbled as she righted her clothing, then summoned Colt to her shoulder, where he sat comfortably, his approximate height of her hand span deeming it possible. She gave him a warning under her breath, "I'll deal with you later."

Colt smiled, positive that she would forget, or disregard the matter, as was her usual habit.

As they followed the woman back to the palace, Aedlith asked Colt what he did this time to raise Ferryll's ire.
Colt had the grace to look sheepish. "I hid his book of Spells for Vanity." He grinned mischievously, giving her a sly look. "He should be avoiding you now."

Aedlith looked puzzled. "Why ever for?"

"His bald spots showing."