Random - Enter The Wolf

"And where do you think you're going, mortal?" a nonchalant voice drawled.

Ryu started at it; he had not sensed anyone around as he usually would have been able to, even in the dense woods he was travelling in. Furthermore, Kumo had not given any warnings either and nothing escaped the grey's senses.

Suddenly, the bushes to the side parted and a huge shape leapt towards him. He saw the gaped mouth lined with razor sharp teeth, saw the flash of predatory light in golden eyes...

Before he knew it, his reflexes kicked in and a dagger from his boot appeared in his hand and was sent flying towards the creature. A second before the blade would have reached the animal's skull, a hand dropped from the branches to grab the dagger. The silver metal glinted between tanned fingers.

The creature knocked Ryu off Kumo, pinning him to the ground with its sheer weight. He looked up to see it as a large grey wolf, golden eyes locking a penetrating gaze on him. Its jaws were but an inch away from his face, agape to give a full view of its deadly canines. Then after giving him a careful sniff, licked his face, whining.

A figure then dropped from the branches, somersaulting easily to the ground. "Is that how you treat old friends?", it demanded with mock-disgust. Placing two fingers in his mouth, he let out a piercing whistle that threatened to burst Ryu's eardrums. The wolf, after giving him a last lick, bounded towards its master.

"Shisa, lets go", the figure continued, "Since Ryu Kajiki doesn't seem to appreciate our presence". It made to go, but Ryu was already up on his feet and had grabbed the figure's arm.

"Genrou, I was hoping to meet up with you".

The young man cocked an eyebrow, "Really? Doesn't seem like it, asshole".

"Listen. I need a favour of you".

"Ceh... so you're only glad to see us when you require favours?".

Ryu sounded irritated, "You know what I mean".

"Sorry pal", Genrou turned around to go, "I'm straight".

"Genrou!", Ryu threw his hands up in the air in exasperation, "Will you stop kidding around before I run my sword through your guts?!".

Narrowed dark gold eyes regarded him. "Are you threatening to use my own weapons against me?" he asked, his voice dangerously low. Suddenly, without warning, his thin lips curved in a cocky smile and he sprang back. Long dark claws appeared from the joints of his fingers as he formed fists, holding them up in a prepared stance. "I dare you", he challenged, a wolf-like growl forming at the end of his sentence.

Ryu looked at him. The young man's eyes were narrowed into golden slits, a cruel smile playing on his lips. The claws gleamed as they caught the evening light. Suddenly, Genrou bared his teeth and Ryu saw they now bore much resemblance to the wolves the youth's kind looked after. His wild, wind-blown black hair was more like a mane now, the deep violet streaks becoming more prominent. His usual lean form was suddenly slightly more muscular, powerful. For some reason, each time Ryu saw Genrou in his fighting stance, it sent a strange wave of panic and fear in him.

A normal human reaction.

Genrou saw a hint of it in Ryu's green eyes and chuckled, easing into his normal state. "So what do you want?" he asked easily without a trace of his previous accent.

"New weapons", he said promptly, "And a guide".

"Tell you what", Genrou grinned, "Why don't we go to town and discuss it over lunch?".

-----------

"You are going to bankrupt me", Ryu grumbled as Genrou tucked into his third steak while signalling for another refill of his mug.

"Tough. That's life", he shrugged. He smiled warmly at the waitress as she came with the ale jug, causing her to look away with a blush creeping up her cheeks.

"Genrou, we're supposed to be discussing the journey, not flirt with the girls", Ryu pointed out wearily. He looked to the side to note the frowning men at the other tables, "Nor go looking for trouble".

"Ceh. I'm of the wolves, damnit!", Genrou protested, clenching his fist causing his claws to slide out, "I can bloody well do what I bloody well want".

Ryu sighed. That was the trouble, he reflected, Genrou had the arrogance of wolf, and the stubbornness of a mule. It was no mistake that he chose to have lunch in town. He knew his presence would make humans tense and fearful, and he enjoyed it. The mere sight of his black and purple hair and devilish grin made men keep a steady hand near their weapons.

"But very well", Genrou said airily, gesturing subconsciously with his hand. The claws had disappeared once again, "It's your call". He leaned back against his chair, smoothening his cream tunic with its violet linings. Straightening his purple half-robe, he checked its lining carefully before rearranging the sash tied around his waist. There were brief gleams of hidden blades here and there.

"You know...", Ryu pointed out, "I'm half-expecting you to start licking your hands and cleaning your face".

"Ryu, Ryu, Ryu", Genrou tisked, "How many times do I have to remind you? I am wolf, not cat".

"Anyway", he switched the subject around, "I need to go to Mount Kilnaga".

"Say what?". His friend straightened up, "Fuck... that's the third time this year, and it's just past the fourth moon".

"A young dragonet, barely thirty years", Ryu explained, "Hunters again".

"I see". Genrou downed his mug and peered into it, "Explains the bodies we found in the clearing". Ryu shot him a sharp look. The youth shrugged, "Opportunities in the wild. My brothers and I feasted".

Despite himself, Ryu felt sick. Genrou noticed it and grinned, perfect white teeth with its sharp canines gleaming, "I'd think you've gone there so many times lately, you ought to know the way by now".

"It's not the path I'm worried of", Ryu informed him, "Like you said. The fourth moon just ended and it's the Shadow Sidereal now for three, four weeks. I'm more worried about the attention the dragonet will attract".

"Goddamn arse-fucking shadow demons!", Genrou swore venomously. Ryu was silent. He didn't need to question Genrou's bitterness towards the demons. Slamming his fist onto the table and standing up swiftly, Genrou ignored the stares he had attracted from all around, "I'm coming, if only just to kill off any demons I can get my hands on".

Ryu nodded. Genrou, growling to himself, stalked outside.

----------

"Tori, have you finished with the dragonet yet?".

The girl looked up from her patient to see Ryu's silhouette in the doorway, "Ryu! You . . you're back earlier than expected". She got to her feet hastily, but he just walked past without further acknowledgement, heading straight for the young dragon. "Erm... I binded the wing as best as I could", she informed him, seeing his puzzled glance at the white gauze wrapped around the reptile's body, "I don't know whether it will heal though...".

Ryu frowned thoughtfully, but didn't say anything. The dragonet gave him a push with its serpentine head, asking for a pat. "Ryu..." Tori started, "Your leg...".

"It will be alright".

"Ryu, you've got to listen to me", Tori pleaded, "Look, infection could be setting into that wound. You don't even know how serious it is!".

"I'll be leaving now Tori", he cut her off before she could say anything else, "Thank you for your help". Holding an arm out, the dragonet hopped onto it and settled on his shoulder. Ryu nodded curtly to Tori and headed for the door.

"Ryu . . !". The girl had reached out to grab his arm. He looked at her, not a flicker of anything in his expression. She took a deep breath, then opened her mouth to say something.

"There you are! Fucking bastard... do you know how bloody long it took to track you out here?", Genrou's irritated voice yelled, a second before the youth appeared in the doorway looking irascible. He was about to continue when he noticed the girl holding on to Ryu's arm. He stiffened.

Tori gaped, then slowly edged behind Ryu, her blue eyes displaying her fear.

"Ryu, I'll meet up with you later". With that, Genrou vanished as suddenly as he had appeared.

Ryu shook his head to himself. Behind him, Tori exclaimed, "You're going with him?!".

"Genrou is my best friend, Tori".

"But...".

He whirled around to face her, causing the dragonet to totter precariously on his shoulder. It gave a hiss of surprise, instinctively trying to open its wings to regain its balance. The general effect made Ryu more intimidating. "You used to have nothing against him", Ryu snapped.

"But... that was before I found out he was a monster".

"Genrou is no more a monster than your usual human being. At least when he hunts and kill, it's to eat, not for sport". With that, he stormed out. "Kumo!", he called out the moment he stepped out the house. Instantly, the huge stallion galloped up to him causing heads to turn. The passer-bys gasped as they saw the dragon perched on Ryu's shoulder, and some dropped to their knees and began praying. Usually, Ryu would appreciate this, but he was on a rush.

Throwing himself on the grey's back, he urged it into a gallop heading for the town gates. It was about time he headed towards Kilnaga, so the first thing he needed to do now was find Genrou.

Ryu had a feeling he knew where his friend was.

----------

Ryu signalled for Kumo to slow down as they approached a small cave opening. Hopping off his mount, he headed over to the cave and entered.

Instantly, the stench of death hit him, the very second as he stepped on something that went 'crack'. He knew without looking down it would be bones, so didn't bother. Instead though, he continued walking forwards, pausing every now and then to try find his bearings as it was pitch dark inside and the whole cave twisted and turned to more resemble a worm hole. It didn't help that outside, night had fallen and it would be near impossible to make out whether the end was near or not.

However, after some minutes of hesitant walking, the air began to clear into the fresh mountain air he was used to. A few more steps forwards and he emerged onto a rocky outcrop.

And there, sitting right on the cliff-edge with his legs dangling over eternity, was Genrou.

"I was wondering whether you were going to show up, asshole", he greeted, swinging his legs back onto firm ground. Grinning wildly, he reached down to pick up a bone (Which Ryu wished he hadn't identified as having come from an arm), and flung it into the far distance. "Look at that!", Genrou pointed, his voice jubilantly happy, "All this freedom! Nothing but the mountain air, the full moon and darkness to peer into! Fantastic!".

He turned to look at Ryu, still grinning widely, "And this whole domain belongs to me. Me and my brothers". At that moment, there was a faint call from the countryside. Cupping a hand around his mouth, Genrou answered the howl, making the eerie inhuman sound last for several seconds before stopping to listen to the echoes fade away. Several faint howls answered back, widening his smile. "My clan", he said softly.

"Genrou, there are others", Ryu told him quietly.

Picking up another bone, Genrou tossed it in the same manner as he had the first. The youth watched as it whirled downwards. "Yeah. There's always others, ne? There were others in the past, and they were all the same. As soon as they find out about my other form...". He then turned to face Ryu, and his smile was now weary, "Ceh. Tori never liked me anyway. Anyone with or without eyes can see she's only got her sights on you". Seeing Ryu about to comment, he held his hand up, "Shut up Ryu. You know everyone's scared stiff of this wolf".

"Maybe if you weren't so enthusiastic about eating people...".

"Hey! You know I prefer eating horse to humans. Human meat is too stringy", Genrou scoffed, walking to the other side of the outcrop, climbing upwards to reach into a hole in the cliff wall.

"Yeah, well...".

"Its tough out here in the wild, pal. It may be alright for me, only because I make weapons. My brothers have to use their teeth. What we can get, we eat". He jumped back down, a sack in his hands. "Anyway", Genrou's voice was more cheery now, "Moving on to more interesting topics, here's my latest batch".

Ryu caught the sack tossed at him and opened it. It was a set of knives and one sword. He picked up the latter, weighing it in his hand. To his surprise, it was lighter than it looked. It was double-edged and only two inches across. It was sharp though, and he knew that this sword was stronger than most. Only Genrou knew what metals were used to make it.

"Look", Genrou pointed at the hilt. Ryu did as he was told, and his eyes widened. There was engraving on the hilts of all the daggers of stylised wolves. Ryu knew his friend rarely did engravings, even though he was as good in that craft as weaponry. However, the one that caught his eye was the hilt Genrou had pointed to, the one in his hand. It was the head of a wolf, thrown back in a mournful howl with its jaws agape to surround the bottom of the blade. The sword blade seemed to be protruding from the creature's throat from the mouth. The fine detail on it was astonishing, right down to the superb hair detail, the teeth of the canine, the blue-grey wolf eyes...

Ryu blinked. Genrou grinned. "This is dragon-dye!", Ryu exclaimed in astonishment, "Where... ?!".

"Dragons often shed their scales, friend", the youth reminded him, "My brothers tend to find them here and there and bring them to me. I figured, you know, what the hell. I'd decorate my weapons so melted them and well...". A small chest appeared practically out of nowhere and Genrou handed it to Ryu, "These are the ones I've got right now".

Opening it, Ryu was amazed to find all sorts of scales, different sizes and colours. "This is from the Mizu clan" Ryu held a translucent grey scale up for inspection. Selecting a green one, he peered at it, "This is... the Mori. And this brown one Toshiki...".

"That's nice Ryu", Genrou said impatiently, "But the gem of all of them are these two". Reaching into the folds of his robe, he drew out a small silver sack. Shaking out the contents onto his palm, Ryu saw one wolf canine, a bundle of fur, a small pebble, and...

"Genrou!". His friend laughed as Ryu grabbed two objects from his palm. Two scales roughly three inches across. One was brilliant red with golden veins running through it, while the other was purple with lighter shades for its veins. "There are from... !".

"The Hoseki-ke", Genrou said smugly, placing them and the other objects into the pouch and returning it back to his robe, "The royalty of Dragons".

"How... ?".

"Lets just say I have my ways, asshole. So we going on that journey now? I'll make more as we go along".

"Sure, but...".

"Ceh! Then quit your yapping and lets get going!". With that, Genrou grabbed his weapons back and bounded into the cave. Still feeling slightly shocked and dumbfounded, Ryu followed.

----------

"So this is the dragonet", Genrou reached a hand out to rub the creature's head. Leaning towards it, he asked, "You alright there?". It chittered, hopping off Kumo's back and onto Genrou's shoulder.

From behind, Ryu was stuffing his belongings into a simple knapsack and slinging it over his shoulder. "You know", he pointed out, "Some people have to earn the dragon's trust".

"You're only jealous cause you had to swear your life to Kyilat's dragons, asshole", Genrou smirked. Then, "You ready yet? I'm itching to go".

"Sure", Ryu nodded, hauling himself on Kumo's back and taking the dragonet from Genrou, "But isn't your wolf coming along?".

"Ceh", Genrou waved a hand dismissively, "Shisa's got better things to do than come along on this trip. After all, he's the alpha male. He's gonna have to guard this place while I'm gone".

Ryu nodded. He noticed Genrou's gaze straying to the grey stallion he was sitting on, and cautioned, "No. Kumo's not on the menu. You know that".

His friend looked slightly disappointed, but shrugged anyway. Satisfied he understood, Ryu urged the horse forwards. Instantly, Genrou was on his feet and was speeding after them.